You are if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a leader, actively participate in community service, and are committed to the Jewish community of Los Angeles.
- You have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- You have a demonstrated financial need.
- You are a Jewish graduating senior who will be a freshman at an accredited four-year college/university in the 2023-2024.
- You are a legal resident of Los Angeles County for a minimum of three years as of September 2023.
- Your parent(s)/guardian(s) are also permanent residents of Los Angeles.
- An annual award of $10,000 for each of their four years of college (a total of $40,000, as long as you remain a Fellow in good standing).
- Community service opportunities locally and overseas.
- Two annual retreats with current Brawerman Fellows (expenses paid). The retreats take place in August and December/January.
- A Birthright Israel trip during one of your undergraduate years (expenses paid).
- An overseas trip to learn about the Global Jewish Community.
- Mentor future Brawerman Fellows.
- Attend Federation-sponsored educational and community-building programs.
- Explore the Jewish community on your college campus.
- Be an ambassador for the Brawerman Fellowship.
- Go to https://jewishla.spectrumportal.net/ to log in or register to create an account.
- While registering, select “Scholarship Applicant” in the section labeled “Portal Access” and fill in all the remaining boxes.
- Once registered or logged in, click the “Scholarship Applicant” tab at the top, where you’ll see the “Brawerman Fellowship Application 2023” link.
- Submit the online application no later than February 15, 2023.
- Your two letters of recommendation must be submitted no later than February 15, 2023.
Please note that failure to completely submit any of the required components will disqualify you.
The final decision on your candidacy will be based on your ability to fully participate in the program, which includes attending all annual program activities (described above). You must maintain a 3.0 grade point average throughout your undergraduate studies. Full receipt of your scholarship award will be contingent on your complete participation in the program.
When filling out the online application you will be asked to download the following documents:
- High School Transcript
- Your 2022 Income Tax Return (if applicable)
- Parents’/Guardians’ 2022 Income Tax Return(s). If parents are divorced, income tax forms from both parents are required. If the student’s or parents’/guardians’ 2022 Income Tax Return is not complete at this time, please upload your 2021 Income Tax Return. You will be asked to submit your 2022 Income Tax Return by April 14, 2023 if you become a Finalist.
- A copy of the letter of acceptance from the school that you plan to attend in Fall 2023 (if available). If you become a Finalist, you will be asked for copies of your acceptance letters prior to your interview if it is not available at this time.
- A copy of the School Financial Aid Award Notice (if available).
- A copy of the Student’s Anticipated Budget provided by the school that you plan to attend in the Fall of 2023. This can be obtained from the school’s Financial Aid Office. If you are not sure what school you will attend, submit information from your first-choice school.
- A copy of the college scholarship services student aid report (SAR). This is the form that you received after filling out your FAFSA. For more information about the FAFSA, please go to https://fafsa.ed.gov.
- Proof of permanent U.S. residency if born outside of the United States (copy of your green card or U.S. passport).
Yes, two letters of recommendation must be submitted, one from a school counselor or teacher, and one from a leader in the community (supervisor of a volunteer position, clergy, youth group advisor, etc).
You should emphasize these three areas:
- Community service
Your letters of recommendation must be uploaded by February 15, 2023. Any letters submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Please provide the link to those writing your letters of recommendation. If they have any questions, they can email Brawerman@jewishla.org or call (323) 761-8116.
Four incoming freshmen will be selected in 2023 to receive the Fellowship.
No. You can attend any 4-year accredited college/university that you choose. You must begin school in the fall of 2023.
Yes. You must plan to attend full-time (12 units/credits minimum per term) at a 4-year accredited college or university in the U.S. during the 2023-2024 academic year. Also, you are required to attend school in person, not online.
No. This Fellowship is for those beginning their freshman year of college in September 2023.
Yes. You are eligible to apply if you don’t know what school you will be attending in the fall of 2023. Please fill out the application to the best of your ability with your first-choice school. If you are chosen as a Finalist, you will be asked which school(s) accepted you.
Your family must file a 2022 tax return to be eligible for this Fellowship. If a 2022 tax return is not available, please submit your family’s 2021 tax return. You will be asked to submit your 2022 tax return by April 14, 2023 if you are selected as a Finalist.
Describe how your participation in community service has played a part in your life. How has it influenced you as a person and a leader? What role has being Jewish played in shaping you as an individual? How do you plan to be involved in the Jewish community during college?
You will be contacted by our office if you are a Finalist and you will be asked to schedule an in-person interview. Please do not contact our office for updates on the status of your application.
Yes. If you’ve been selected as a Finalist, the in-person interview is mandatory.
The interviews will be held on the evenings of April 18 & April 19, 2023 at The Jewish Federation.
Accommodations will be made for those participating in March of the Living. If that applies to you, interviews will take place on April 10, 2023.
All Fellows will be notified by April 24, 2023.
If you still have any questions about the Brawerman Fellowship, please contact us at Brawerman@JewishLA.org or call (323) 761-8116