POSITION: Program Manager, NuRoots Community: Y&S Nazarian Family Foundation / Iranian Community Outreach
DEPARTMENT: Young Adult Engagement
UNION GRADE 14 CLASSIFICATION RANGE: $65,218 to $87,881. SALARY: $70,000
TIME-LIMITED: One Year from Date of Hire (EXTENSION DEPENDENT ON GRANT FUNDING)
Are you passionate about building relationships and making community happen? So are we. NuRoots is hiring a full-time Persian Community Creator to help Iranian Angelenos in their twenties and thirties build community, connect with and deepen their roots, and do Jewish in amazing, infinite ways. Reporting to the VP of NuRoots Community, this role is responsible for fostering, managing, and sustaining the growth of our Iranian young adult community and creating and developing connections across Jewish L.A. — through programming and event planning, outreach and relationship building, and volunteer and leadership development for Iranian Jewish young adults.
NuRoots is the young adult initiative of The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. Run by a team of warm, creative innovators who are deeply immersed on the ground, we cultivate expansive community belonging, personal growth, and a lifelong commitment to a better Jewish L.A. — through meaningful relationship building, creative gatherings, trips and immersive experiences, citywide festivals, and strategic community partnerships, all in one of the most diverse cities in the world.
The Y&S Nazarian Initiative of L.A.’s Jewish Federation and NuRoots honors and celebrates Iranian heritage and culture, and connects with community members to build a future where Iranian Jewish young adults are fully engaged as participants and leaders throughout Los Angeles. Southern California is home to the largest concentration of Iranians in the world outside of Iran, and we’re excited to bring on a new team member to foster welcoming, safe, and celebratory spaces for Persian Jews and to ensure a more vibrant and interconnected community.
About this position
Serving various micro-communities, NuRoots’ Community Program Managers (warmly referred to in the field as Creators) are passionate about building Jewish community and galvanizing Angelenos in their twenties and thirties to do Jewish in ways that are meaningful and relevant and that create longevity.
Who you are
We’re seeking a well-rounded person with a keen interest in community building. Our Community Creators are super social weavers, great at deep conversation, and equally comfortable planning pop-ups, intimate gatherings, and large-scale experiences. Dreamers and thinkers, with great passion and curiosity for Jewish culture, values, heritage, and ideas. Collaborative, ready to work with shared purpose and to build on each other’s thinking to come up with the best ideas. And hyperlocal, with great knowledge and passion about the city we play in and tons of favorite spots.
- Develop strategic engagement plans for Iranian young adults (22–40) with connections to Federation’s young adult initiatives, through three primary activities:
- Holding one-on-one conversations
- Organizing local gatherings and experiences of all sizes
- Supporting community partner events
- Serve as a community concierge for Iranian young adults looking to explore Jewish opportunities in L.A.
- Identify micro-communities and unique needs within the Iranian community (i.e. L.A. natives, LGBTQIA+ Iranian Jews) and build a volunteer pipeline to assist in outreach
- Identify and cultivate Iranian young adult leaders, connectors, and influencers for future lay leadership positions in Jewish communal life
- Engage a committee of Persian community members to help plan and implement small, medium, and large scale experiences
- Mobilize community members to build connections with people, organizations, and community leaders and to create meaningful, high-impact projects that engage young adults in diverse Jewish experiences
- Cultivate and manage relationships and partnerships between Iranian-specific organizations and Federation, opening pipelines for cross-cultural programming and vibrant and meaningful Jewish life conversations
- Initiate programming that highlights and shares Iranian heritage and culture
- Help craft relevant messaging and marketing, and work with Federation colleagues to infuse Iranian perspectives and sensitivities into existing programs and messaging
- Utilize a relationship management system to track community member involvement and participation
- Work closely with community leaders to connect NuRoots and the Iranian community
- Collect and organize impact stories from Iranian community members
- Attend and staff NuRoots events and meetings
- Participate in skill-building sessions
- No regularly set schedule — one day in office per week or as needed
- Flexible work hours including nights and weekends
- Position requires traveling reasonable distances in personal vehicle
Be available to assist supervisor and Sr. VP of Ensuring the Jewish Future with additional duties and assignments, including assisting with the Campaign.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- BA degree
- Knowledge of and experience with Iranian life and community in Los Angeles
- Knowledge of Judaism and appreciation for an increasingly diverse Los Angeles Jewish community
- 2–3 years of relevant experience in outreach, leadership, or community organizing
- Passionate and creative team player
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Confidence in building relationships and networks
- Impeccable organization and follow-through
- Consistent ability to reach out, schedule, and maintain notes on every experience
- Savvy social media networking skills and proficiency in mobile technology
- Strong proficiencies in Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Experience working with donor databases or related database systems
- Excellent administrative, written, and oral communication skills, and engaging interpersonal skills and telephone manner
- Energetic, amicable, flexible, and self-motivated
- Able to multitask, troubleshoot, prioritize workload, and to work both independently and within a team
- All staff must be fully vaccinated, and proof of vaccination status will be required. Please disclose if accommodation to the Federation’s vaccination policy is sought for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer: minority / female / disability / veteran / gender identity / sexual orientation / age
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Jobs@JewishLA.org with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Transparency in Coverage Rules require certain group health plans to disclose on a public website information regarding in-network provider rates and historical out-of-network allowed amounts and billed charges for covered items and services in two separate machine-readable files (MRFs). The MRFs for the benefit package options under Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles Welfare Benefits Plan No. 504 are linked here.
If you are interested in applying for this position please send your resume and cover letter to Jobs@JewishLA.org with the job title in the Subject line.