POSITION: Assistant Director, Israel Education
DEPARTMENT: Community Engagement
Union Grade Range: $74,670- $105,111
Reporting to and under the direction of the VP of Israel Education & Advocacy, the Assistant Director, Israel Education coordinates outreach, and training of teachers for the Holy Land Democracy Project, coordinates additional teacher trainings and the development and sharing of classroom resources, and assists in the general work of Israel education and advocacy.
HOLY LAND DEMOCRACY PROJECT
- Create and implement a marketing campaign and design public relations materials to recruit new teachers for HLDP in conjunction with the Creative Services Department.
- Oversee the new teacher selection process
- Keep updated school and teacher lists and meet with prospective and past school principals and teachers.
- Coordinate and organize all curriculum and resources – while also adding new resources and lessons when relevant – that are a part of “The Many Faces of Israel” lessons; update, create/order and distribute materials to teachers as necessary.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of yearly Israel mission for new teachers and education officials.
- Help plan, coordinate and run the logistics and educational content of the annual teachers training weekend for all teachers participating in the yearly Israel trip.
- Recruit additional school districts and types of schools to join the Holy Land Democracy Project.
- Visit schools or consult with teachers to assist in teaching “The Many Faces of Israel” curriculum.
- Responsible for coordinating and overseeing testing, test result data input, and evaluations.
- Engage with teachers beyond the classroom for deeper impact including but not limited to student projects, professional development workshops, and follow up trainings.
ADDITIONAL TEACHER TRAININGS & RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
- Work with the Vice President of Israel Education & Advocacy to create, plan, and lead additional teacher training seminars, courses and lectures for LAUSD public school teachers and other public and private schools/teachers.
- Coordinate and manage the collection and distribution of lesson plans and curricula on Israel, Israeli History, Jewish American narratives, Antisemitism and Ethnic Studies.
- Work with partners to create and organize new lesson plans and curricula on related topics
- Arrange details for programs, work as liaison with partner organizations and synagogues, and organize all marketing campaigns for the teacher training programs.
- Create and implement evaluation relative to strategic goals of educational outreach, teacher trainings and resource development.
Functions as part of the Israel Education and Advocacy Team. Provides staff support for additional Israel trips, Israel events, interfaith
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
- BA Degree preferably in Education or related field; MA Degree desired
- Should have excellent interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal skills.
- Knowledge of Judaism, Israel and the Jewish community in Los Angeles and Israel.
- Experience in curriculum development (within formal or informal education) required
- Experience as a presenter or educator (formal or informal) on Judaism, Israel or antisemitism required
- Experience in educational planning and budget administration strongly desired.
- Interfaith experience desired. Must be able to travel in U.S. and overseas.
- Must be able to work with all levels of lay leadership and professional colleagues; computer skills (MS Suite:
Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- A hybrid work model will be implemented for certain positions during transition back to worksite(s). This
position must report to worksite on non-remote workdays, as determined by the Federation.
- All staff and building occupants must be fully vaccinated and proof of vaccination status will be required. Please
disclose if accommodation to the Federation’s vaccination policy is sought for medical reasons or sincerely held